The Martin Family

The Martin Family

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Stake Conference

  I just got home from stake conference.  What an amazing broadcast and I actually got to stay in my seat the whole time; Carleen and Trish stepped up to the plate and helped me with my kids.  I wish it were possible to retain everything that is said in the talks that were given.  Brother Gibson told a story of when he was young and he had gotten lost in a mine.  His flashlight was dead and there was zero light, he didn't know where to go.  He felt around for a while, following the walls.  He then lost the walls and couldn't tell which direction to go.  He knelt and prayed for help and was able to find an old mine track on the ground and followed it out.  He said, "It's good to pray when all else fails, but it is much better to pray before all else fails."  So true.  
   Brother Paul Pieper spoke next.  He encouraged us to listen to talks with a prayer in our hearts, asking ourselves, "What does Heavenly Father want me to learn today from His servants?" 
  "Our world is full of moral distractions that make us spiritually sick."  He spoke about partaking of the sacrament and how when we do so we renew our covenants and bind ourselves to the Lord.  He encouraged that on Saturday nights we take a few moments to ask ourselves some questions in preparation for taking the sacrament.  
 -Have I humbled myself before God?
 -Did I ask for guidance and listen?
 -Have I truly repented of all my sins?
 -Am I truly striving to be better?
 -Am I willing to take His name and be faithful to Him?
 -Do my works reflect that of a Christ like servant?
Elder Russell M. Nelson spoke to the children.  My favorite thing he said was when he quoted the hymn, Keep the Commandments.  He reworded it, "Safety and peace will come -IF- we keep the commandments."
Our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson spoke last.  He spoke about those that are lost.  The less actives, the widows, the lonely, and others.  He spoke of "love being a binding balm".  He said several things that I'll quote.
  "Those that are lost will remain un-rescued unless we, as members of the church, have a desire to rescue."
  "Our task is not insurmountable, we are on the Lords errand."
  "If we don't try, we don't do.  If we don't do, then why are we here?"
  "Ours is the duty to reach out and to rescue... Those who have the ability to reach out have found the formula for service."
  "The language of the spirit comes to the one who seeks God."
President Monson's talk hit me the most.  I've been helping a friend lately who has been less active for several years.  She's dealing with a very difficult trial right now, similar to what I've been through, and so I've been trying to help her.  I've worked with her closely on going back to church and turning to the Lord for help.  The thing that hit me today was that I waited until she was in despair to reach out and share the gospel.  Why did I wait?  How many others are lost that seem to be doing fine so they don't show up on my radar of needing the gospel?  We all need the gospel.  I need to reach out more, whether the person is in trouble or not.  

No comments: