The Martin Family

The Martin Family

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"That's My Castle"

Ever since I can remember, memorial day weekend has included going to Grandma Saunders' grave (and now Grandpa Saunders as well) with as many relatives as could come, and planting flowers on it. This memorial day wasn't much different. I brought my children with me and proceeded with what has become a routine of weeding, planting, and watering. Upon completion, I felt the urge to go visit another grave. Randy Owens who passed away June 9, 2009. This is a first memorial day for many to be without him. After a chuckle at what his headstone said, because it is so Randy, I walked my kids back to my grandmother's grave.

My grandma has a humble headstone with her name, lifespan, and a picture of the Salt lake City Temple. For the purpose of teaching, I had Ryker read the name on her headstone, Lois Laney Saunders. He looked at me with eyes that had made a connection. I asked him, "Does that name sound familiar?" He nodded and said, "Yup, Saunders".


"What about her middle name, Laney?"


He nodded again and pointed at Kaya. My daughter shares middle names with my grandmother as well as my father. A family name that I hope flows through generations to come. I explained to him the meaning behind this passing of tradition and how special it was. I then turned to Kaya and said, "Kaya, look, Lois Laney. That says Laney, just like Kaya's name, Kaya Laney".


Kaya's reply was something to treasure, a lesson to be adhered. "Yup, that's me, and that's my castle." I giggled at first because of the cuteness in claiming the temple as her castle, but then a deeper emotion flooded me. Yes, that is her castle. It's a castle for all of us. The world is full of castles that the Lord has placed here for each and every one of us. Nowhere on this Earth can we go and feel like such royalty; like true children of our Heavenly Father.


What a wonderful gift it is to know that we are so loved. We are princes and princesses to our Father in Heaven, we only need realize it; and what better place to prove it than the temple. Go... and go often. Fulfill your divine blueprint. Be that child of God that He knows you are.


I love the lessons I learn each day from my children. So simple that they often are in the form of a cute little statement, and yet they are profound. The Lord is always speaking to me, I only need to pay attention. I need to go to my castle more.

No comments: