The Martin Family

The Martin Family

Thursday, May 13, 2010

"I hope I can be a prophet someday"

Every night, the bedtime routine with my children includes reading scriptures.  Because of their young ages, I read to them from the scripture story books that the church has published and I accompany them with a few verses that correspond to the scripture story; thus they can here and understand scriptural language.  Since last October, we have covered the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and we are currently reading the Old Testament.  With all of these readings, we have learned a great deal about prophets, and in the past two weeks we have read a lot about Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses.  Tonight, as we read about the plagues the Lord placed on the Egyptians and how great a prophet Moses was, Ryker turned to me and simply said, "I hope I can be a prophet someday".

Humility overcame me as I looked at this awesome boy who has ALWAYS had a firm grasp on the gospel, and I was more honored than ever before that the Lord has allowed me to be his mother.  I learn more from Ryker than he could ever learn from me.  He came to this earth with a testimony larger than most; he doesn't need to gain one, his spirits' desire is to develop what already exists.  How many times are children asked what they want to be when they grow up?  And how many times do we hear the answers, a firefighter, an astronaut, a veterinarian, etc?  Never in my wildest dreams was I expecting to hear, "a prophet".  I feel as though the child is raising the parent, and not the parent raising the child.

Thank you Heavenly Father for sending me a spirit who will keep me on track and bring me closer to thee.

No comments: