The Martin Family

The Martin Family

Monday, June 7, 2010

A Cup Half Full

I got a call from Keri today.  My heart sunk to my stomach when I saw her on my caller ID.  Since Casey's surgery, his infection has not improved.  His blood cell count is dropping and doctors are not sure why.  All the medication along with the infection is destroying his liver.  More tests are going to be done to see if the infection has invaded his bone marrow.  If it has, they have to do a bone marrow transplant.  If not, they increase the transfusions in an increased attempt to kill the infection.

Shortly after talking to Keri, I was on facebook and filled Casey's wall with comments of randomness.  He, having access to his computer while in the hospital, popped online while I was on there.  We had a wonderful chat, cracking jokes and sharing nonsense.  He seemed to be in good spirits.  He ended the conversation with, "Poopsicles... The vampires are coming in to draw more blood...."  I love his sense of humor.  


Yesterday was fast Sunday.  I think it's obvious what... or more accurately, who I fasted for.  My thoughts were filled with Casey all day long.  During church, a young man in our ward stood up to bare his testimony.  He's high school age and loves to play football.  He bore a simple message about how he has tried to build the habit of focussing on the positive things in life; looking at the cup half full instead of half empty.  My Casey cup yesterday definitely felt half empty.  As I spoke with Keri today, she was informing me of what should have been bad news, and then she expressed some relief within all of it.  She said that if doctors hadn't done certain tests that were above and beyond protocol, they would not have found the infection to begin with.  I stood there in wonder as Keri accounted for her half full cup.  Then as I chatted with Casey, my cup began to feel more than half full.  I'm not surprised, Casey has a way of taking your half full cup and then proceeds to top it off.  


How much lighter would our step be if we could see our cups as half full?  How much happier would life be if we could top off other people's cups?  

No comments: